Santisimo Rosario Parish @ 75
Santisimo Rosario Parish is situated in the campus of the Pontifical and Royal University of Santo Tomas in Sampaloc, Manila. It belongs to the Vicariate of Our Lady of Loreto and is within the territory of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Manila (RCAM). Also known as the "UST Chapel," it is also a spiritual haven for students, professors, and staff of the University. It is run by Dominican priests, particularly the friars of the Priory of St. Thomas Aquinas.
Santisimo Rosario Parish is the home of the Young Thomasian Professionals Lay Dominican Fraternity.
(The following text has been lifted from the Official Facebook page of Santisimo Rosario Parish.)
The Santisimo Rosario Parish, UST was established on March 21, 1942 by a decree issued by Msgr. Michael O' Doherty, D.D., Archdiocese of Manila. The Santisimo Rosario Parish, UST became one of the earliest parishes situated within a University, making it unique from the other parishes in the country. The Chapel of the University of Santo Tomas in which the spiritual, moral, pastoral needs of the university people are cared for, and where religious and academic functions are held, also became the same church where parishioners go for their sacramental needs like weddings, baptisms, funerals, confessions, masses and others. It is placed under the care of the religious community of the Dominican Order. On April 26, 1942, the parish was canonically inaugurated with a pontifical high mass celebrated by Msgr. O' Doherty.
On September 28, 1942, the image of the "La Naval de Manila" was trasferred from Santo Domingo Church, Intramuros to UST and installed in the Parish Church of Santisimo Rosario to save it from heavy bombings in Intramuros. That year, the novena to Our Lady of La Naval was held for the first time in the Parish Church. The Novena became a tradition and henceforth, the Parish Fiesta being celebrated every 7th day of October. After twelve years of stay at the Parish Church, the image of "La Naval de Manila" was transferred to Santo Domingo Church, Quezon City on October 10, 1954. It was then that the original parish image was restored to its former place at the main altar. The same image is now enthroned at the left side of the altar above the tabernacle.
To give way to the celebration of the feast of "La Naval de Manila" in Santo Domingo Church every second Sunday of October, the feast of the Santisimo Rosario was changed to the first Sunday of October.
In its sixty nine years of existence, & with a parish population of 55,850, the parish was privileged to have Dominicans as parish priests. (Its current parish priest is Rev. Fr. Louie Coronel, O.P., and the president of the Parish Pastoral Council is YTP formator Dr. Belén L. Tangco, O.P.)
Parish Priests (1942 - Present)
Weekdays | 6:15AM, 7AM, 5:15PM
Saturdays | 6:15AM, 7AM; Anticipated Masses --5:15PM, 6:15PM
Sundays | 6AM, 7AM, 8AM, 9AM, 10AM, 5PM, 6PM, 7PM
Telephone No. (02) 731-3062
Official Facebook Page: Santisimo Rosario Parish - UST
Acknowledgment. Source of information: Santisimo Rosario Parish official Facebook page
The Santisimo Rosario Parish is a community, alive and centered in Christ, devoted to Mary, imbued with the spirit of St. Dominic, journeying together towards the fullness of God's kingdom.
We therefore commit ourselves to being to actively participate in the life of the Parish community.
We work together to promote the love of Mary, the charism of St. Dominic, as we dedicate ourselves to being witnesses of the Gospel values.
We strive to grow in knowledge and to serve with humility being sensitive to the needs of the poor and responsive to the signs of the times.